Tuesday, October 06, 2009

"When Someone Tells Me They're Happy It Makes My 'Bum' Twitch."- from the movie French Kiss

I visited Segullah this morning, a blog I frequent written by LDS women, for LDS women. I find most of the posts intelligent, edgy, thought-provoking... yes, it is a Mormon site. For the most part, it strengthens my beliefs that LDS women are a power in this world, despite the world's ignorance of that. That isn't why we are here, to be sung about. Sometimes I am saddened by what I read, but I think for the rest of the day on the subject, and find my own convictions.
This morning, I read this article: To thine own self be true (but you might be less happy)
I left this comment:
I think a lot of women expect to be happy because of the choices they make, they are doing the “perfect” things, whether it’s impressing their friends, the people at church, or at work, or they are really juggling that family act, watching the clock, sacrificing all for the kids and the husband. Then life hits hard, or they aren’t quite as happy as they think they should be, or they’re not getting near as much as they are giving, and spiral slowly, or abruptly, into depression, self-doubt, dissappointment, resentment. And, heaven forbid, they compare themselves to all the other women who seem to have it all together, who are fulfilled.
I am a mommy-blogger, sort of. My blog is about positive thinking and sometimes I wish it wasn’t… but I find when I am honest about the imperfections, even assigning a positive spin at the end of the post, those posts get the most comments, the most “I get this” vibes. We as women need to find happiness in the “trying”, in the “small” blessings that will stay with us for eternity, in the joy of improving ourselves in alignment to our Heavenly Father’s view of us… not our neighbor’s.
1 Samuel 16:7 “for the Lord seeth not as a man seeth; for the man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.”
I think of several women I know are happy. I know they struggle, that they work hard, that they cry, that they make mistakes. But they embrace who they are to Heavenly Father, they hope they are on their way to finding that potential, and they joy in that humble journey. And then we, “man”, we see the result. This kind of happiness is a personal, inside thing. It can be really difficult to find. But when the outside stuff hits, those women who have found it are steady, are strong, no matter the heartbreak.
“Happiness is not in things. It is in us.”

I just felt it belonged here on Glass Half Full. Thanks for reading my silly thoughts and words and raves. I'm just trying to find that inside happiness and sharing the bits as I go along. Best wishes to you on your journey.

No comments: