Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Christmas Survey From Sam

1. Get kissed under the mistle toe or in the snow? Mistletoe... we have some strategically placed in the entry to the kitchen. Jacob stands there, waiting.
2. Santa or Rudolph? Santa... I believe in the magic.
3. Stocking or presents? Presents, although when I was a kid, the stockings were always a nice surprise that there was just a little more to do.
4. Egg nog, hot cider, or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate. With a candy cane.
5. Angel or star? Star. I just broke ours this year and had to find a new one. The kids are a little disappointed I couldn't find the same one, but seem to understand.
6. Decorating the tree, or putting lights on the outside? Well, it was about 7 degrees when I put the lights up outside, in between two blizzards, so I am saying tree, definitely. I love watching the kids hang the same ornaments I did when I was a kid.
7. Warm cozy fires or sleigh rides? Warm, cozy fires. This is our first house without a fireplace. I miss it.
8. Family time or friend time? Both... lots of both.
9. Expensive presents or presents that come from the heart? Expensive presents that come from the heart, but I don't get those. I actually get more excited about the presents I am giving.
10. Snow ball fight or snowman? Snowman. Never liked the snowball fight unless I knew I could win.
11. Coal or presents? That is a lame question. I got coal once. I promised I would never do that to my kids.
12. Open presents quick or slow? Slowly... I don't get many under that tree, so I like to stretch it out.
13. Diamonds or rubies? Ruby is my birthstone. I like diamonds as much as the next girl!
14. Caroling or christmas stories? I love caroling with Brandon's family. Caroling.
15. Snowy days or ice days? What? Umm, snowy days. Definitely.
16. Red or Green? Both. Together.
17. Best christmas present recieved? When my family surprised me (see Drops of Ink, below right), a big teddy bear called Papa bear, a leather bomber jacket, a baby with a wooden cradle my dad made, a doll house my dad made, a diamond ring, and the book, Fire of the Covenant.
19. If you're dating someone, what would you want them to get you? Something special from Willow Tree.
20. Have you ever been kissed under mistletoe? Yes, mm-hmm.
21. Age you stopped believing in Santa Claus? What?
22. Do you send thank you notes? Sometimes.
23. Do you wake your parents up early to open presents? Yes. My brothers and sister and I would all sleep in the same room Christmas Eve, and we would watch for the neighbor's lights to come on, and that was our "go" signal. It was still 6 am. Our kids do the same thing (well, they get up when they get up- none of our neighbors have kids).
24. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa leaves his presents out and open, very conspicuously, with big ribbons on them, and sometimes a label with each child's initial, if needed.
25. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I would have just white, but I married a colored-lights person, so we have both and we are both happy.
26. Do you hang mistletoe? Yes.
27. When do you put your decorations up? Tree goes up day after Thanksgiving, and depending on how much energy I have after wrestling it, we decorate it that night, or the next day. All other decorations go up within those first three days. The exterior lights go up in between the blizzards.
29. Favorite holiday memory as a child? All of them... choosing secret pixies, the food (chili and cinnamon rolls Christmas Eve), decorations, sleeping in the same room with my siblings, the felt advent calendar, caroling, the food, opening one present Christmas Eve, the Nativity re-enactment, the food...
30. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? What?
31. Do you open any gifts on Christmas Eve? One... the kids always get new jammies to wear. They still act surprised.
33. Snow, love it or hate it? Love it.
34. Can you ice skate? Barely. I love to skate with my kids.
35. Do you remember your favorite gift? Didn't we answer this one?
36.Whats the most important thing about the holidays for you? Sharing traditions with my family, time together, and remembering ther birth of the Savior.
38. What is your favorite holiday tradition? The food.
39. What tops your tree? A star... its white and covered with gold swirls, and looks like it was dipped in sugar cystals.
41. What is your favorite Christmas song? My cd changer has The Carpenters, Kenny Loggins, Barbra Streisand, Dean Martin, and a compilation cd we made one year to give to all our friends instead of cookie plates. That was a lot easier, and everyone loved it!
42. Candy canes? Jacob seems to suck them up like air. They are on our tree, and in a Santa jug on my counter. I prefer the peppermint taffies with christmas trees on them. We get both in our stockings.
43. Favorite Christmas movie? Holiday Inn, Muppet Christmas Carol, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, While You Were Sleeping, Its A Wonderful Life, The Santa Clause, A Christmas Story.
44. What do/did you leave for Santa? Cookies and hot cocoa. Sometimes oats for the reindeer.
45. What do you really like most about Christmas? Everything!!!!!!! Every single thing.

1 comment:

Gramma Spice said...

Don't want to disappoint you, hon, but we bought the cradle I think you are referring to. It was handmade by a local craftsman in Seattle. But Dad did make the dollhouse.