Monday, April 28, 2008

"Do. There is no try." -Yoda








On Friday I received my first rejection letter for my first book I have ever written, or submitted for publishing. I wasn't going to mention it on my blog, but I thought, why not? This is sort of a crowning achievement. Did you know that about 95% of us think about writing a book, but only 2% ever do? And out of those who submit their work, only 2% get published? Not great odds, yet today, they make me feel better.
So, I was surprisingly calm when Brandon handed me the big white mailer I knew contained my manuscript and I read the form letter telling me they were "forced to be extremely selective" and that they were, "not in a position to pursue this project at this time", or even able to "send detailed comments" about my work. Not very helpful, but a badge of courage nonetheless.
It was later that night that I cried.
Then, I woke up early, came down to the office, got online, and found a few more publishers that I will try. I know it's a long shot, but am compelled to try. It has always been my observation and belief that a good, solid try counts.
Sorry, Yoda.

3 comments:

Trev said...

Kris, don't lose hope. They simply don't know what they are missing! My favorite action author Vince Flynn was turned down over 60 times, and finally somehow published his first novel himself. His book went to number one in the Twin Cities and within a week of that he had an agent and a publisher. He now has many best sellers, and his writing is great. Keep it up!!

Shelli said...

Yes, read Trev's comment! I have read your book, and I know how others would love to read it! Keep trying, you have the right attitude. Sorry you had to go through the disappointment, but as your book suggests, there is sunlight despite the storms! Love you!!

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed! I can't even get a blog started, let alone write a book. Good luck - I will look for it on the best sellers list in the future!