Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A NEW PHASE




Ah, the first day of school. I was pretty excited. I had made the kids' lunches last night so the morning would go a bit more smoothly. As I put out 2 more pieces of bread for Maren's sandwich, 2 more pieces than I have for the last 3 years, I got a lump in my throat. It had suddenly occurred to me that nobody would be eating lunch with me anymore. That's all. I got teary, and Brandon chuckled sympathetically and invited me to eat with him at the high school anytime I wanted. But the lunches were made. I drew a heart on Maren's napkin, and a happy face on Chelsea's. I think the boys are done with that kind of thing, but I should ask. I took the younger kids to school and of course walked Maren to her first day of all-day kindergarten. It was a little rough, but we called Daddy and he came over and she got brave. Yea, Dad! She will be fine. So will I. It is very quiet. Well, except for the dishwasher. And the washing machine. And the dryer. I have cleaned the kitchen from the morning chaos, picked up the clutter, and switched over the contents of my old purse into a newer one. I have signed up to help in Maren's class on Thursdays, and at the Middle School in the library a couple of other days a week, something I have never been able to do. A thoughtful friend called to see how I was faring. I am going to be painting some furniture and getting the basement ready for the construction crew coming to finish it late Fall, and organizing the garage as the weather cools. There is plenty to do, and I do have some girlfriends to eat lunch with occasionally. I will probably call my Mom more often than I have been calling her, and of course, at 3:30 I will be running around to piano, dance, choir, scouts, tennis, football, and whatever else comes our way. I may even pick up a brush and start watercolors again. Do I dare try oils...?

1 comment:

Shelli said...

I can't imagine a quiet house without the youngest around. Call me anytime!!
You SHOULD try oils! I bet you'd do great!!
Love you!